Mohammad Mahmudullah, affectionately known as Riyad, is a revered figure in Bangladesh’s cricketing landscape. Born on February 4, 1986, Riyad is a versatile cricketer, known for his ability to excel both as a lower-middle-order batsman and an off-spin bowler.
Batting Career of Mohammad Mahmudullah
Bowling Career of Mohammad Mahmudullah
Domestic and T20 Career
In the 2008-2009 Bangladeshi domestic season, he emerged as the second-highest run-scorer in the competition, accumulating 710 runs at an impressive average of 54.61.
In the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), Riyad has showcased his prowess in T20 cricket. He has represented franchises like Chittagong Kings, Barisal Bulls, Khulna Titans, Chattogram Challengers, and Minister Group Dhaka.
Riyad’s journey in international cricket began with his ODI debut against Sri Lanka in 2007.
In Test cricket, Riyad made his debut against the West Indies in July 2009. Despite a modest start with the bat, he shone as a bowler, achieving the best bowling figures in a match by a Bangladeshi on debut. He took a eight-wicket haul.
Notably, he became the first Bangladeshi to score a century in a World Cup, achieving this feat during the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup.
Riyad’s standout performance in the 2015 World Cup was memorable. It included two consecutive centuries against England and New Zealand. In six matches during the tournament, he scored 365 runs at an astonishing average of 73.00.
Riyad’s leadership skills came to the fore when he was named captain of the Bangladesh Test team in January 2018. Under his captaincy, Bangladesh achieved notable milestones, including their highest total in T20Is and impressive victories in various series.
In July 2021, during a one-off Test match against Zimbabwe, Riyad hinted at retiring from Test cricket. He confirmed this decision when his teammates gave him a guard of honor before the start of the fifth day’s play. This match was his 50th Test match, and he scored an unbeaten 150 runs in the first innings. His retirement from Test cricket became official in November 2021.
Records and Achievements
- Riyad is the most successful captain for Bangladesh in T20Is, with 12 wins.
- He achieved the rare triple feat of scoring a century, taking a five-wicket haul, and effecting a stumping in Test cricket.
- Riyad is the first Bangladeshi batsman to score a century in a Cricket World Cup.
- He holds the record for the most economical bowling by a Bangladeshi bowler in a T20I, conceding only 8 runs in 4 overs against Afghanistan in the 2014 ICC World Twenty20.
- In September 2021, he became the first Bangladeshi player to play 100 T20I matches, showcasing his longevity and consistency in the shortest format of the game.
Visit More Profiles